I love chicken a lot! The thought of it just gets my mouth watering! I came across this recipe that grabbed my attention and refused to let go. Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe. In the world of chickenville, this is as close to the top in creativity and also in terms of being flavor packed.
I went to the store and bought three chicken breasts on bone and de-boned them for myself. This was primarily because of two reasons. One: It is much cheaper this way. Two: I wanted to teach myself how to de-bone chicken breast. I used the bones to make chicken stock which I used to make the best gravy, ever.
So, let’s move on.
My first attempt at de-boning did not go very smoothly but, I did get better on the second and third breasts.
Next, I used a meat tenderizer and flattened the chicken breast to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. This was to ensure that they would cook evenly and also made them easier to handle because they were going to be used as wrappers.
Below is how I went about making my yummy baked chicken cordon bleu dish.
- I cup freshly prepared bread crumbs (Store bought ones are also fine)
- 3 medium sized Chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 slices of cooked ham
- 1 Cup Mozzarella cheese (You can use any that you love)
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 Teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- A couple of toothpicks
- 3 Table spoons all purpose flour
- 200ml of water or as much as might be required
- Take two pieces of your flattened chicken breast and arrange them so that they overlap. Then proceed to apply vegetable oil on the top surface, this helps keep the breast moist. Chicken breast has a tendency to become quite dry if not handled well. Sprinkle salt to taste and black pepper.
- Place the slice of ham on the chicken pieces. If it is too large slice off the excess.
- Spread the cheese on top of your ham.
- Start folding the chicken being careful not to tear it. Be gentle. Demonstration is in the slideshow below.
- Insert the toothpicks in such a way that they will end up holding the chicken together. Make sure that you fold it properly so that the cheese does not end up seeping out as it melts in the oven.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the paprika, black pepper and mixed herbs. In a separate bowl mix the flour with water until it reaches a consistency similar to that one of crepes. You could substitute the flour mixture with egg wash if you want.
- Take your chicken breasts and dip them one by one in the flour mixture and then roll them in the breadcrumbs to ensure that they get evenly coated. Set aside to stand for about twenty minutes until the breadcrumbs stick firmly on the chicken breast and not fall off.
- Place the coated chicken breasts in your baking dish, sprinkle some vegetable oil and bake at 375F/190C for about thirty to thirty five minutes. The bread crumbs should turn a nice golden brown color.
- Serve with your favorite starch and vegetables accompanied by some gravy. Enjoy!