Chicken wings make very delicious finger foods, finger-licking good!! The combination of the outer crispy skin, juicy succulent interior and the sweet, sour and hot sauce is just out of this world! I am talking in a lot of exclamation marks, I know right, it’s just that I can’t help myself. Gotta try out this recipe to believe it.
I love chicken and I’m always trying out new recipes like that time I baked chicken cordon bleu or when I made such juicy and succulent gizzards, and, not forgetting my fantastic Kienyeji chicken (road runner/ organic) wet fry.
Tips to having successful crispy chicken wings:
- Always make sure the wings are patted dry before you start working on them
- Do not cover them with too much of the seasoned flour
- Baking powder in this recipe helps the skin become light and hence crisp up more.
- Use a wire rack to bake the wings so that air can circulate both at the top and the bottom of the wings.
- Always keep your wings in one layer to prevent them from becoming soft because this will cause them to them sweat on each other.
Ingredients for the wings
- 2Tbs self raising flour
- 1tsp Coriander powder
- 1tsp red chili powder
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp mustard powder
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1tsp curry powder
- 2tsp celery salt
- 8 chicken wings divided in half(16 pieces)
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 15g butter
- 1Tbs soy sauce
- 1.5 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2tsp honey
- 1Tbs chili sauce
- 2Tbs tomato sauce
- 1tsp minced garlic
- 1tsp minced red onion
- Put all the dry ingredients for the wings in a plastic paper and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken wings and shake well to ensure that they are evenly coated on all sides.
- Arrange the wings on a wire rack that’s been placed on a baking tray that’s lined with aluminium foil for easy clean up.
- Drizzle a bit of vegetable oil on the wings to aid in crisping up and browning of the skin.
- Set oven at 230C or 450F and bake wings for 25 minutes before turning them over to bake the second side for a further 25 minutes. Total baking time will be 50 minutes depending on the size of your wings.
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a sufuria and leave to simmer on medium heat, stirring continuously, until it becomes a thick sauce.
- While wings are still warm, place them in a bowl and drizzle the sauce on them. Toss and serve immediately while still warm.