When most people think of chicken wings the first thing that immediately comes to mind is they have been deep fried. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love fried chicken wings. It’s just that when the healthy side of me gives my conscience a very hard kick (just joking!) I whip up these terrific meals. I have always been the kind of person who does not ascribe to tying myself down to one style of cooking. Hence my quest to find out How to Make Spicy Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings in Sauce.
By now I am sure you must be salivating, join me as I let you in on my secret to having Crispy baked chicken wings.
I set out to find an easy recipe for healthy, crispy, baked chicken wings that would still have all the wonderful flavor and texture that comes from crispy deep fried wings.The other thing that I did was give it my own touch by tweaking what I came across.
The Secrets to Having Crispy Chicken Wings:
- Ensure that they skin is dry. Start by washing the chicken wings and butchering them correctly. You might opt to cut off the tip and store it for your homemade chicken stock. Next pat it completely dry by using kitchen towel or paper napkins.
- Adding cornflour to your all purpose flour will help you have your chicken wings crispy.
It is always good to marinate your chicken to infuse flavor. For deeper flavor marinate over night so that all the different flavors can blend with one another.
Below is my step by step description of how I went about making my easy baked chicken wings crispy. At the end of it tell me what you think.
Ingredients for the Marinade
- 1/2 kg of chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly cracked)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 10 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- Salt to tastePlace your list items here
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 50 g butter
- 3 table spoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce of your choice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Put all the ingredients together in a medium sized pan and set the heat on medium. Let them all melt together as you stir continuously to prevent from burning. Once everything has melted reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer for about five minutes for the sauce to thicken. Again, do not leave your sauce over the heat unattended.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry spices for the marinade . Pat dry the chicken wings and then add the dry spices. Toss until all the wings are evenly coated. (Now we are well on our way to having the most fantastic spicy chicken wing recipe!) In a separate bowl mix the oil and lemon juice and pour on top of the wings. Cover the container with a plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator overnight. In case you are pressed for time, marinate for at least two hours.
- Next, toss the chicken wings in the flour mixture until completely covered. Let them stand for a while on a wire rack for the flour to stick properly on the wings. Lastly, spray your baking tray or melt a bit of butter and apply on it. Arrange your chicken wings leaving some space between them so that they do not end up steaming and becoming soft and soggy. Spray some vegetable oil on top of the wings before placing them in the oven. (Helps the wings to crisp up) Bake for 35 minutes at 400F/200C and then turn them over and bake the other side for about 10 minutes for it to crisp up.
- Take the wings out of the oven and immediately toss them in the sauce because they will absorb it and its flavor better before they cool down. Serve them while still hot.
- I returned my chicken wings in the oven after I tossed them the first time around because i wasn’t satisfied with how they looked. They didn’t have as much color as I would have loved. They lacked the umph. So, I returned them back to the oven and and baked for about 5 minutes and tossed them in more sauce. I am glad i did this, i mean, look at how awesome they turned out. You can serve with roasted potatoes and vegetables. Enjoy! Do not forget to tell me what you thought of my chicken recipe in the comment box below.