Spaghetti Stir fry is one of those meals that are so easy and fun to throw together. It hardly takes any time at all and most of the ingredients that I am using in this recipe are already available in your pantry. And, the bonus here is that you get to give your left-over spaghetti a much needed make-over!
This recipe is not cast in stone, feel free to use all of the ingredients or leave out the ones that you don’t have (or like) out. It can also be wholly vegetarian by leaving out the beef.
So how do I prepare my beef?
I first put it in the freezer until it’s almost frozen solid and then pull it out. This makes it very easy for me to cut it up into very thin slices that are quite ideal for stir fry. The next step is to marinate it for a few minutes for the flavours to infuse completely into it before cooking it.
How do I ensure the meal succeeds?
- Try and keep your heat on high so that the dish cooks very fast.
- Do not drain out the oil that you use to stir fry your beef because it’s loaded with all the flavour.
- Prepare all your ingredients before hand because once you start cooking the meal moves very fast.
Ingredients for marinating the beef
- 750g Beef
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 Tbs ginger and garlic mince mixture
- Salt to taste
Rest of Ingredients
- 3 Spring onions
- 2 large carrots
- Bunch of spinach leaves
- 1/2 red hoho (red bell pepper)
- 1/2 green hoho
- 1/2 yellow hoho
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 Tbs ginger garlic mixture very finely minced
- 4 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Green Leafy part of spring onions
- 3 Cups left over spaghetti
- Start by slicing up your beef and adding all the marinating ingredients and set it aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan until it shimmers then add the beef and cook on high heat for about 6 minutes for it to cook through and brown.
- Remove beef from sauce pan making sure to leave the oil behind.
- In the same oil add onions and cook for about a minute, once they turn translucent add curry powder and cook for about a minute.
- Add the ginger-garlic mince, cook it for a minute then add the carrots. Let them cook until just softened.
- At this point add all the hohos and cook until just softened then add spinach.
- Once the spinach wilts add salt, freshly cracked black pepper, beef and white part of the spring onions. Mix thoroughly.
- After 2 minutes the beef will have warmed up, add left over spaghetti. Mix everything well and allow spaghetti to warm up for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbs light soy sauce and 2 Tbs barbecues sauce. Mix and taste for balance in seasoning. Adjust if required.
- Serve and garnish with green leafy part of spring onions.