Regardless of our levels of culinary skills, every one of us can become the master of our own kitchens and come up with our very own easy home cooking recipes. I can say this with authority because I am a living example of this. I have never been to any culinary school and yet I can whip up a fantastic meal. It has not been easy at all. I have suffered a few mishaps along the way right from whipping up unpalatable dishes!! How embarrassing is that, huh?! Especially if you are aiming at impressing your friends or family.
The secret to having a collection of easy home cooking recipes that are successful is to get the basics right. This is from the equipment to the ingredients that you will be using. Let me point out here that you do not need a very sophisticated kitchen to pull this off. There is never any right or wrong in your kitchen. Well, not unless we are talking about you burning your food to an unpalatable black crisp mass!!
Have fun, experiment with flavours and come up with your own signature dishes. Incorporate twists into classic dishes. I am a Kenyan and there are some ingredients that I might not be able to get hold of unless I imported them. This is true for everybody because different geographical regions have different ingredients that grow locally. An example of this is my attempt at making tacos which are a traditional Mexican dish. But who is to say that I cannot make and enjoy it right in my kitchen right here in Kenya?
I used ingredients that are readily available in Kenya and I did not have to break the bank to afford this yummy dish. And I had such great fun making it too!! The results were amazing. The slide show below will demonstrate to you how to make these tacos correctly.
- Add the salt and oil to your flour and rub in until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add warm water in little portions and knead the flour until it comes together. Knead it for about 5 minutes.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mince meat. Stir it continuously for the first five minutes to prevent it from clumping together. Add water to cover the mince meat, cover and reduce heat once it comes to a simmer and cook it until all the water evaporates.
- Meanwhile, warm 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and add your spices. Let them brown for about a minute and then add your onions. Saute them for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and green chillies and mix everything thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, add your beans (already cooked) to a food processor and lend until smooth. You can add some bit of water to loosen them a bit if they are too dry.
- Add the beans to the mincemeat mixture and mix thoroughly. Taste for salt and add more if necessary.
- Add your tomatoes at this point and just mix them in and immediately remove from heat.
- After the dough has rested, divide it into lemon sized balls and roll them out into circles of 3 mm thickness.
- Place the dough on a pre- heated pan with 1 Tbsp of oil. Let it cook for about a minute till bubbles appear on top. Turn and cook other side for about a minute as well.
- Fold and cook one half for about 3 minutes until crispy. Add more oil if necessary. Turn other side and cook for 3 minutes as well.
- Start layering the love now. Start with the beans and meat mixture, followed by the guacamole, then the crispy salad.
- Finally sprinkle cheese and voila!! your easy home cooking recipe has been accomplished. All assembled for tasting!!
- Meanwhile, add your beans (already cooked) to a food processor